McClellan Park, CA
Stella-Jones Corporation is seeking a qualified Logistics Manager. One position available in either McClellan Park, CA or Fresno, CA. The Logistics Manager maintains customer reporting requirements and contributes to overall transportation and sales efficiency. This role directs and coordinates activities of transportation operations to obtain optimum use of equipment, facilities, and personnel by performing the following duties personally or through subordinate supervisors.
• Ensures transportation availability for all logistical needs.
• Transportation emergency storm response lead.
• Reviews 3rd party performance optimization, service level tracking, carrier sourcing, DOT & safety.
• Provides sales with guidance on rates and identifies cost-saving opportunities. Manages and participates in RFQ/bid analysis and preparation of logistics quote pricing for rail, marine, and truck transportation. Performs lane and rate analysis for all freight movements.
• Manages and develops reports for various distribution yard reporting needs.
• Manages and oversees Logistics Supervisor, Dispatchers, FG yard employees.
• Negotiates and publishes transportation rates of 3rd party truck and rail carriers.
• Manages all freight claims as it relates to truck transportation.
• Participates in business development strategies, capital projects and special projects.
• Enforces compliance with administrative policies, procedures, safety rules, and governmental regulations and contract compliance.
• Freight standards (yarding, loading, unloading and hauling). Analyzes freight standards to ensure accuracy. Updates the standards annually or as needed. Assists the Director in ensuring that the 3rd party rate sheets/contracts are updated annually.
• Develop matrices for all freight movements ($/cwt, $/mile or $/ft3).
• Manages rail tracing, demurrage billing, and general rail efficiencies.
• Provide overall FG management strategy and develop systems for assigned FG yards goods to meet inventory goals and support demand requirements.
• Focus on leveraging all functional support groups to creatively optimize efficiency, insuring that customer commitments are kept while also insuring the implementation of distribution solutions that meet company financial, risk and growth objectives.
• Works with sales department to develop and maintain a prioritized list of customer and market requirements including contract specified service parameters, min/max inventory levels and product labeling (where required) for all products in FG yards for assigned region.
• Manage inventory per existing yard layout, aligning inbound/outbound flow with resources and space constraints, proposing improvements where necessary.
• Monitor and provide input on FG yard storage practices, housekeeping, maintenance, on-time deliveries and safety standards with respective third party(s).
• Establish and revise company receiving/stock transfer protocols and work instructions/standard operating procedures as needed for department improvements.
• Assign tasks, provide training and supervise inventory and receiving personnel at the various FG yard locations in assigned region.
• Manage FG yard inventory counts/reports ensuring accuracy; evaluate data and recommend action for shortages/surpluses, stock rotation and slow moving inventory.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Education: Bachelor's Degree (B.A.) or equivalent; or four to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Experience: Four to ten years of logistics experience
• License/Certification: CDL preferred
• Knowledge of rail, truck, and water transportation equipment required
• Knowledge of wood poles, lumber, and loading procedures preferred
• Ability to work with carriers, customers, sales force, and plant personnel
• Ability to work as a team member under time constraints and conflicting priorities
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations
• Ability to effectively present information and respond to question from groups of Managers, clients, carriers, customers, and the general public
• Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals
• Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interests, commissions, proportions, percentages, area,
circumference, and volume
• Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry
• Intermediate computer skills (Microsoft Office)
• Annual bonus program opportunity
• Comprehensive benefits plans including
o 3 different medical plans to choose from
o Company paid dental and vision coverage
o Company paid life insurance policy
o Company paid accidental death and dismemberment policy
o Company paid long term disability benefits
o 401k plan with a company match of 150% on the first 4% deferred
o Robust employee assistance program
o Opportunity to purchase Stella-Jones stock through payroll deduction
• 9 paid holidays each year
• 2 weeks paid vacation the first year
• Paid sick hours and personal hours
About the Company:
Stella-Jones Inc. is a leading producer and marketer of pressure treated wood products. The Company supplies North America's railroad operators with railway ties and timbers, and the continent's electrical utilities and telecommunication companies with utility poles. Stella-Jones also manufactures and distributes residential lumber and accessories to retailers for outdoor applications, as well as industrial products which include marine and foundation pilings, construction timbers, wood for bridges and coal tar based products. The Company's common shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: SJ).
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled